Monday, July 20, 2009

From Daddy's Perspective

Hi everyone, up until this point Kimberly has written all the blog entries here. So we figured it was about time I put my two cents in and let you all know how amazing it has been for me to watch her go through her pregnancy and become a mommy.

Since the blog hasn't been updated in a week or so for obvious reasons, let me start by saying LilliAnn has arrived. She was Born on July 16th and 2:14 pm, weighing in at 8 lbs, 8 oz. and measuring 21.5" tall. Here's how it happened...

So it was Wednesday morning, I woke up as I heard Kimberly getting out of bed to head to the bathroom. After a few steps I hear her stop and she says "Babe, my water just broke". I was thrilled and nervous to hear her say this and I hopped out of bed and brought her some towels while she headed to the bathroom. She immediately called her doctor's office and arranged to head in asap to see how things were progressing.

At the office we met a midwife that works out of the clinic that we had yet to meet before, her name was Sylvia and she was a really nice older lady. She determined that yes her water had broken and that the best thing to do would be just let things progress naturally and find some things to keep ourselves occupied with until labor actually started. We left the office with that plan that if nothing were to happen by 9 PM, we would call her and meet her at St. Joseph's.

Here we are, knowing that within a day we would have a new member of our family, and we just have to wait it out and find things to keep us occupied until then. After the doctor's office, we went to the Metropolitan Market and got some pastry type things and a yogurt parfait. Delicious, as usual. We headed home for a bit and looked for something to do next. Kimberly decided she wanted to let her dad know that things had started happening so she called him and he stopped by for a bit. He prayed with us, which was very encouraging, and we talked for a bit. I'm sure he was happy to be the first to know besides us, it was a definite daddy daughter moment.

Still nothing much happening yet, so we decided to be productive for a bit. We recently bought a car for Kimberly, something that would be a little bit better as a family vehicle and would be a bit more dependable. So we've had her old car parked in our alley for a couple months now, we had been casually trying to maybe sell it for a little bit or maybe just donate it. Either way, we couldn't locate the title to the car so we decided to go to the DMV to get a replacement one so we could get rid of it soon. Kind of a funny thing to do when you're about to go into labor, but it killed some time, so it worked out great.

After our little errand, we were gettin hungry. Kimberly mentioned Steamer's, our favorite fish and chips place, and it sounded great so we went there for lunch. We sat outside because it was a really nice day, and we both had cod burgers and chowder. It was great.

So awhile after we got back home from lunch, Kimberly started to feel some contractions starting. We had learned a rule to follow in our birthing class called 4-1-1. It refers to the contractions being 4 minutes apart and 1 minute long for an hour straight. We got out a wristwatch and kept it handy for when we'd need to start keeping track of the time. Kimberly blasted through this stuff no problem. She was uncomfortable, of course, but she has a very high tolerance for pain and just does really well dealing with it. As this went on for awhile, we started to see a pattern forming and when they started to get fairly punctual at 5 to 8 minutes apart, we called Sylvia and let her know things were starting to happen. She said we could go to the hospital whenever Kimberly felt that she wanted to, but that laboring as much as she could at home might be more comfortable for her.

She stuck it out for a bit longer, and at about 11:00 pm, I called back and let her know that Kim was ready to head in and that we were on our way. She said she'd meet us there. We had already loaded up the few things we needed to bring along with us in the car(clothes for us, carseat, shower stuff, etc.) so we hopped in the car and we were off.

After a 20 minute or so check in process through the ER, we were taken to the top floor, Labor and Delivery. A very nice nurse came in and got the moniters hooked up and said Sylvia, our midwife, would be there soon.

I want to save some of the details for Kimberly to fill you all in on, so I'm gonna skip ahead a little bit. Not to mention the fact that she was the one experiencing all of this, so she'll be a bit more insightful, Im sure.

I do want to say, though, that watching my wife go through each step of the labor and delivery was the most mind blowing thing I have ever experienced. I know everyone says that it's so hard to watch this person you love so much experience so much discomfort and pain, but I think that's kind of a selfish way of looking at it. All I felt while I watched Kimberly do what she did was pride. I found so much new love and respect for her, it was amazing. God has given her an amazing amount of faith.

Well, I'm going to let Kim fill in some of the blanks I left, and I'll write another entry soon about life since little LilliAnn came along. Until then!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATS from us!!!!!!!, and man such inspiring words at the end, nice to see how much stronger your love can get awesome to know too:)! , i'm really looking forward to having children myself, but that's another story too!!!

Adam and Yuki

July 21, 2009 at 4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home